Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Opinion on the new rule changes

This is just a short post to reflect quickly on the TCG's new rule changes, nothing special, just wanting to get my opinion out there.


I definitely like the fact that they're addressing the strength of the first turn in the game, but I feel like this was the wrong way to do it. Instead of pussyfooting around with what's basically a card advantage restriction, why not just stop the problem directly?

It depends on who you ask, but to me, the reason why going first is so strong is because you can establish a field before your opponent has cards in play to stop you. Only a small number of cards can really hinder that, and your opponent's got to draw one in their first five cards to have a chance.

So if it were up to me, I'd create two new rules: First, you can't Special Summon more than once in your first turn, and second, you can't set more than two Spell or Trap cards over the course of the first turn. Complain all you want, but this stops problems from two different ends of the spectrum. Powerful combo decks can no longer vomit cards into play without worrying about backrow, and obsessively defensive decks can't screw up their opponent's vital first turn as much as before.

In other words: No more opening with as many powerful monsters that don't have to answer to Traps, and no more opening with so many Traps that my monsters have no chance of breaking through before I'm suddenly dead. There are other, far-reaching implications of these two rules, but I'm not going to waste your time getting into them since there's a great chance these will never become official anyways. And remember that before you write your hate comments.


Secondly, we have the Field Spell changes. The only thing to really say about this is that it inherently makes Fields a little harder to get rid of, which is slightly bullshit when you're talking about decks like Dark World and Gravekeepers. Other than these extreme examples though, I don't think this is too big of a deal. The nerf to Closed Forest isn't exactly appreciated, but it's not a huge deal either. The other Field change doesn't really matter outside of a small nerf to Geartown. I never liked that shitty deck anyways, so I don't mind it taking a small hit.

Anything important I missed? Leave a comment and let me know. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment