Monday, June 24, 2013

What can we do about Dark World? (pt. 2 - Email to Konami)

Hey, all! Here's the email that I promised last time:

"Hi,

My name is [Your name here] and I'm an avid player of the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG since about [year that you began playing]. I'd like to take a brief moment to relay some concerns my friends and I have had with our experiences in the TCG in recent years, and I hope that you'll take the time to read this.

I've noticed a trend that appears to be causing some damage to local tournament attendance in my local area, and that is the policy of usually not addressing certain decks on the Forbidden and Limited List if those decks are not putting forth large showings at Regionals or YCS Tournaments. For the most part this does not cause many problems, but it allows many decks to slip through the cracks and create a lesser playing experience at tournaments of all sizes, causing many of my friends to begin to drop the game in favor of other card games, like Magic: the Gathering.

The single strategy that I wanted to mention today is Dark World. Due to the nature of Dark World and its discard-heavy playstyle, it often causes the opponent's deck to malfunction from the inside out, creating a play environment based heavily on luck that is often not enjoyable for either player. The three cards that I believe to be the biggest issue in current Dark World decks are Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World (who is easily revived, in addition to having high ATK, a destruction effect that clears potential counters to the strategy, and making powerful "Virus" Trap Cards essentially costless), Dragged Down Into the Grave (a card that follows in the footsteps of Trap Dustshoot with its ability to reveal the opponent's hand and reveal what they've got planned), and Card Destruction (a card that can trigger multiple Dark World effects at once while refilling the Dark World player's hand, and tossing out their opponent's hand and all of their plans with it).

Cards like Snoww, Unlight of Dark World and The Gates of Dark World are also quite powerful while Unlimited, but I believe the game would be so much better off if the playerbase did not have to fear the aforementioned three cards at all anymore.

In other news, I've recently gotten a peek at more of the cards in Battle Pack 2 thanks to our friends over in Europe, and I've got to say I am really impressed with the job you guys did there. I think you're looking forward to another big hit. Thank you sincerely for taking the time to read this letter and consider my opinions.

Have a good day,
[Your name here]"

As I said last time, I'd seriously like to encourage each and every one of you that dislikes Dark World to go ahead and email this letter to . The more people that email this letter, the better the chance that we have of being heard. Thanks, and see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment