Monday, July 1, 2013

My personal take on the Simon He situation

I wanted to make a post that was separate from yesterday's news break to talk about my personal feelings and my take on what happened, because I felt it'd be more professional to leave out my feelings and opinions.

Since the news broke yesterday, my most predominant thought has simply been, "Why?"

"Why?"

"Why are so many of the good players cheaters? How does this happen?"

The reason why I personally am so transfixed with this question is because it hearkens back to my own locals here at home. At least three of the "pro" players at my locals are apparently cheaters. Two of them I've seen with my own eyes (drawing an extra card, lying about the rules), and the third I have not personally witnessed but who everybody says is a cheater. I've long since established that the main reason I'm not topping more at locals is the simple fact that I'm not as good as our local "pros", so you can imagine why it makes me so angry that people who are already great feel that they have to take extra steps to unfairly guarantee themselves more and more wins. I hate mankind.

The simple fact of the matter is, there will always be people who take this game more seriously than others. That's the entire reason that we have a competitive meta in the first place... To some people, winning at this game really matters. And unfortunately, the same drive that produces good players will produce cheaters as well. In my opinion, that's why so many of the game's greats have been accused of or proven to be cheaters - the drive to both cheat and to get better come from a very similar place.

At the end of the day, there are simply too many ways to cheat. It's absolutely scary to think of how much effort you can potentially have to put into preventing cheating, and to know that even then it might not be enough...

Sorry for my rambling, as you can tell I have a lot of feelings on this matter lol. Thanks for reading, and go check out my latest Fire King deck profile if you have the time. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment